A new generation. New friendships, new love-stories and of course, new danger. Will you stand by as new danger rises, or will you participate?

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
BEEEEEEAAAAAAA IIIITS YOUR BIRTHDAY! THE SONG HEY SHAWTY ITS YOUR BIRTHDAY WOULD BE REALLY FITTING BUT YOU'D HIT US UPSIDE THE HEAD IF WE PLAYED IT BECAUSE YOU'RE 'OH SO TALL' BUT HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOU GORGEOUS LITTLE PUFFLE DEVIL HULK THING AND HAVE THE BEST DAY EVER <3
CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS HAVE COMMENCED! Homes and London Town are now open to Students!

Share | 

Shadow of the Day

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cecily Roux
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

PostSubject: Shadow of the Day   Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:55 am

Cecily slid the glass across the bar, nodding politely to the man who she was serving, before going to check on the glasses that were washing underneath the bar. It didn't feel like she'd been working there for long, but when she thought about it, it had been a while. It was a slightly frightening thought. But she found that working at the pub wasn't as boring as she thought it would be. When the place was not busy, and it was rarely roaring with people, if gave her time to sketch behind the bar, so long as she kept her ears open for what was going on around her.

She sat back on the stool that her boss had put behind the bar for her to sit on when she was going to sketch, picking up her tools and beginning to scribble away, scratching at the paper with the ink, concentrating on the shape in front of her, filling out the room which she was staring out on, the odd table with a group of wizards crowded round it, pints in their hands, ignoring everyone else around them.

Glancing up to check the scene hadn't changed, Cecily blinked once as she saw the door shut, someone wandering over to the bar. A small smile tugged at the corner of her lips, putting her tools down again and standing, moving to her usual place behind the bar, one hand resting on a pump of a drink as she spoke.

"Welcome, 'ow may I 'elp you this evening?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emily Edwards
Ministry Official
Ministry Official

PostSubject: Re: Shadow of the Day   Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:55 am

She had been working alone, and had done everything she could to keep the case quiet. No one was supposed to know because she could get in trouble if they did. In the end, Emily had no idea how the people found out she had been the one that caused the leader of their group of people to be transported to Azkaban. She didn't know who told on her, she just knew they knew. And that she wasn't safe now. They cornered her just an hour ago. There were three of them. She'd been in the Three Broomsticks. They didn't attack her, because they couldn't do that with all the people around.

However, they did manage to cast an anti-apparating spell on her without having anyone noticing. Emily herself only noticed when she tried. The force of the counter spell felt like a blow to her head. Her first instinct was to hurry towards the floo, but when she saw two sinister looking people standing there, smirking, she realized she had no choice but to go outside. They followed her, of course. Emily started running immediately, not knowing where to go and still unable to apparate. She could hear their laughter behind her and fear was slowly wrapping around her.

Emily was panting heavily as she forced herself to keep moving. Her lungs were burning and she was chilled to the bone under her yellow coat. She nearly fell to the ground when a stinging hex caught her in the back, but she straightened herself just in time. Tears formed in her eyes as the laughter came closer. She opted for the first door she saw, opening it and getting inside quickly. She hoped they hadn't seen her entering, but she didn't dare to be sure.

She made her way to the counter, eyes scanning the crowd warily when she realized what shop she had entered. The familiar voice she heard startled her, as did the face she looked into when she lifted her head. Emily wasn't sure she'd ever been so glad to see someone she knew. She brought up her hand to rub at her eyes and remove the tears that were still on her lashes.

"I..-" she stammered, having no idea what to say. She had to hide. She couldn't go home, if those people knew her, they would also know where she lived. Which would be the first place they went if they couldn't find her. And she couldn't get to the ministry unless she Apparated. Which she couldn't do unless the spell wore off. Which it wouldn't do for another twelve hours at least, the redhead hadn't been under the influences of such a spell before, but she'd read about them.

"I need to hide somewhere. I'm being followed," she finally forced out, eyes switching from the door to Cecily, fearing the three men that were following her would realize she hadn't ran but went inside somewhere. "Fast," she added, swallowing thickly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cecily Roux
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

PostSubject: Re: Shadow of the Day   Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:17 am

Cecily watched as Emily rubbed her eyes, growing increasingly concerned at the air the girl had hanging about her. It was too thick and cold, made her stomach turn slightly. She waited for the girl to begin speaking, patient as she stuttered. Cecily glanced round at the other patrons, who seemed far too wrapped up in their own business to care about the newcomer beyond the fact that she didn't look like she belonged there.

Her eyes flickered at the door, it too dark to really make much out, but not seeing why Emily would lie to her. The girl seemed far too...innocent for that. Which was another reason why it was strange to see the redhead in an establishment as this. Sucking in a breath and hoping that there would be few questions about the pub's owner, Cecily gestured for Emily to follow her, opening the half door that sealed off the bar to others for the woman to get through before striding through to the back of the pub, heading down some stairs to where her room was, going as quickly as she could. She couldn't leave the bar unattended for too long.

"'ere," Cecily said quietly, gesturing to the small living area that was sparsely furnished. "What 'as 'appened?" she asked, concern in her voice, guiding Emily to one of the more comfortable couches, sitting next to her, aware of how long she was spending downstairs. "You look in shock, I shall go get you some water, and then I shall make sure no one comes into the pub," Cecily said before the girl really had time to answer, standing and heading back up the stairs, turning to glance at the other woman to give her a comforting smile before heading to the bar.

Taking a clean glass the woman began pouring some water, glancing up as shadowing figures lingered outside of the door, eyes meeting one of her regular customers and exchanging a silent nod with him before returning downstairs, heading straight for the other girl and handing her the drink, sitting on the couch next to her once again, waiting for Emily to drink and calm down before questioning her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emily Edwards
Ministry Official
Ministry Official

PostSubject: Re: Shadow of the Day   Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:55 am

Emily gratefully followed the other woman through the door, her eyes going to the entrance again, making sure no one was following her still when she closed the door behind her. Emily tried not too look at her surroundings as she quickly followed Cecily through the room, her back still stinging and still too nervous to talk. Every so often, Emily stopped walking to look behind her, checking if no one was following still. Even after the fourth time of being assured that they were alone, the redhead didn't stop looking. Not until she took place on one of the couches the other woman led her to.

The redhead folded her hands in her lap, nails digging into her palms. She heard the other woman talking, but Emily wasn't sure how to explain what had happened to her. And before she was able to do so, the other woman was gone again. Emily suddenly felt like a massive intruder. Her fingers wrapped into the strands of her hair as her free hand went to wrap itself tightly around her wand, ready to counter anything that might be thrown at her.

Then Cecily was back and offered her a glass of water. Emily's hand wrapped around the glass tightly as she tried to stop them from shaking and spilling the water over the edge. "I should never have chosen this profession," she muttered quietly, lifting the glass to her lips and taking a sip. She took a bit of comfort out of having the other woman next to her. She didn't feel so alone now. And she somehow felt like she could trust Cecily.

"I'm so sorry for intruding like this. I didn't want to keep you from your work," she muttered after she swallowed, giving the other woman an apologetic look. She bit her lip lightly, realizing she owed the woman an explanation. "Somehow, information about my case leaked out to the people. When they realized it was my fault they lost their leader to the dementors, they, I don't think they're taking it lightly," Em said quietly, lifting the glass to her lips again. "I really don't want to be a bother. Are you sure they can miss you up there? I can go somewhere else if needed," she added, biting her lip again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cecily Roux
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

PostSubject: Re: Shadow of the Day   Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:15 am

Cecily rested a hand on Emily's back instinctively, imitating what she'd seen other people do when comforting someone. Not that she'd never done it herself, she had, but usually it was close friends who comforted her, not people she would consider acquaintances more than friends. But she continued and listened to what Emily said, pleased when the woman seemed to begin to calm down and drink some of the water.

"You are not intruding," she assured, shaking her head. "Think nothing of it. 'Ow are you supposed to deal with these people? Does your work not give you instructions on 'ow to 'andle them?" her eyes went slightly dark as her face became more aggressive. "They 'ave not 'urt you, 'ave they?"

The brunette shook her head again, a smile dancing on her lips. "It will be fine without me there all the time. There are some people who are regulars up there. They will shout if they need something," Cecily chuckled slightly, knowing just how loud they could shout. "And there will be a bell if someone enters, so I will go upstairs if we 'ear it. It is nice to 'elp you, if you need anything, I do not mind getting it for you. I like to make sure my costomers are well looked after."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emily Edwards
Ministry Official
Ministry Official

PostSubject: Re: Shadow of the Day   Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:05 pm

Emily felt a breath she didn't know she had been holding escape as she felt the pressure of a hand on her back. Her hands tightened around her glass as she sank down further into the couch. The last of her worries seemed to ebb away when the other woman assured her she wasn't intruding. The question about if they hurt her, reminded Emily of the stinging in her back she had so hard been trying to forget about. She winced slightly.

"Just a light stinging hex on my back. I'd heal it if I wasn't so pants at healing charms. It will go away," she told Cecily. And if it didn't she would go to St. Mungo's when it was safe again. Or she'd just take a pain potion when she got her hands on one. She had them at home, but she doubted accio'ing them would work seeing as she was so far away.

"If you're sure," Emily said softly, giving the woman a grateful smile. The last thing she wanted was to be alone right now. She didn't really want to admit it, though. She was quite terrified still. Because even though she was everything but useless, she couldn't take on three wizards by herself. "So, how have you been? It's been a while since we talked," she asked, trying to start a conversation to fill the silence. She just hoped it didn't come out as too forced.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cecily Roux
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

PostSubject: Re: Shadow of the Day   Tue May 01, 2012 9:12 pm

Cecily glanced at the woman's back and she said she had been hexed, biting her lip as she tried to think of what to do. She doubted that it would be wise for her to try and heal Emily if she didn't know what the spell had been. "Do you need anything for it? A pain drought, or something? I 'ave pleanty of such things," she always kept pain potions in stock. They were quite easy to brew also.

At the topic change, Cecily moved her hand from Emily's back and stood, heading over to a cupboard and pulling out a bottle of wine, pouring herself a glass as she spoke. "I 'ave not been very busy. I 'ave been working 'ere, and staying 'ere," she turned back to Emily with a grateful smile. "It is thanks to you that I 'ave all of this. I would not 'ave known about the job if it was not for you. I am very thankful for it. It is the least I can do to 'elp you know, to show my appreciation," she explained, stumbling over the last word slightly.

"Other than that, I 'ave been doing art. It is a nice place to do it. 'ogsmeade is full of interesting places, and I often draw this pub. It 'as lots of character," though it needed a good spring clean no doubt.

"What about you?" she asked, returning to the couch and placing her glass on the coffee table in front of the couch. She had taken effort to make the room more comfortable than it had been. "'ow 'as work been going for you? Other than tonight, of course. You were training last time I spoke to you. Are you still?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emily Edwards
Ministry Official
Ministry Official

PostSubject: Re: Shadow of the Day   Wed May 09, 2012 9:55 pm

"If you have a pain drought that would be amazing," Emily said, breathing out a breath of relief at the thought of not having to wait for the particular potion anymore. "I have them at home, but I didn't think to bring them," she said, smiling as the other woman stood up and took out a bottle of wine. Emily took another sip of her water and leaned back further against the couch, resting her back against the surface as she stretched the muscles in her neck.

"I'm glad," Emily said, and she really was. She didn't know if it would be seen as a compliment or not, so she didn't say it out loud, but Cecily looked at home here. Whereas Emily looked out of place in the pub, the French woman looked like she had been there here entire live. It even made Emily feel a little more comfortable about being there. Less out of place even. "I merely pointed out the fact they were looking for people, you got the job all by yourself," Emily couldn't help but point out.

"I can see why you like painting it, it is certainly interesting," Emily admitted, her eyes scanning the room and remembering the looks of downstairs. "Didn't you promise to show me some of your work sometime?" she asked, curious about this woman her art.

She smiled again as Cecily asked questions about her, and her glass joined the wineglass already on the table before she started talking. "I'm an Unspeakable now, my training ended just last month," she informed her, and she couldn't help but sounding slightly proud about it. It had been a tough journey after all. "I love my job, but it can be a bit dangerous at times. People don't always like it when I find evidence that puts their friends or family in jail," Emily admitted, twirling a strand of hair between her fingertips.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cecily Roux
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

PostSubject: Re: Shadow of the Day   Tue May 15, 2012 8:57 pm

Cecily got out her wand and summoned a pain drought, handing it to Emily with a surprisingly warm smile. "I do not usually walk around with pain droughts," she said, though when faced with a situation like this, she wondered if it wouldn't be a bad idea. "I am not sure most people do. Perhaps in a job likes yours, it is not a bad thing to do?"

"I would not 'ave thought to apply without you pointing it out," she said again, smirking at the way Emily seemed to divert the attention from herself to Cecily. At least, that was what it seemed like. "Though I do not think there were many people applying. And when it is not busy, I keep a sketchbook behind the bar."

She quickly took a sip of her drink as the woman mentioned Cecily showing her work. "I did, yes. Would you like to see some now?" she asked, standing and moving behind the couch they were sat on, to an esel that was hiding a painting. She turned it round so that the redhead could see, showing the picture of the window it was facing, from a particularly rainy day. "I 'ave nothing very interesting down 'ere, but I do like this one."

It could've done with more colour though.

"See, this is why you need to carry pain droughts round with you, if your job is dangerous," Cecily teased. "I am glad you enjoy it though, even if it can be dangerous. It is important for these people to go to jail," she thought of the Dark Lady, amused by her own words. "Is the Ministry an interesting place to work?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emily Edwards
Ministry Official
Ministry Official

PostSubject: Re: Shadow of the Day   Fri May 18, 2012 3:19 am

Emily gave Cecily a smile and then eagerly gulped down the slightly foul tasting pain drought. The effects were immediate and Emily felt better immediately as she felt the pain in her back dull and disappear. "You're absolutely right, I'm probably ought to carry them around. But I'll manage to do something clumsy, like breaking it," she said, grinning sheepishly.

Emily bit down on her lip and turned on the couch so she was able to look behind her. She waited patiently as the esel the painting was on was turned around, and felt her mouth drop open in awe as soon as she laid eyes upon it. Merlin, Em wished she was able to paint like that. It looked beautiful. It was a bit dark though, but it captured the feelings of a rainy day perfectly. "It's beautiful," she muttered, leaning a bit closer to see it better. "Almost real," she added softly.

Emily felt a small blush form upon her cheek as Cecily teased her about the pain droughts, and she hid her face behind her red hair. It was long enough for her to do that, though now it tickled her cheeks, which wasn't very pleasant either.

"It's very interesting, and there are so many different people there. You never grow bored," she answered, tucking the strands of hair back behind her ear. "Seeing as you have shown me your artwork, would you like me to play the violin for you?" Em asked, remembering their previous conversation again. The thought about playing for someone else made her nervous, but also excited.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cecily Roux
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

PostSubject: Re: Shadow of the Day   Thu May 24, 2012 11:56 pm

Cecily watched as Emily gulped down the potion, pleased when the woman seemed to visably brighten, a small smile decorating her lips as Emily greed that she should carry them around. "Put on a protection charm or some such. Or just come 'ere and 'ave some of mine," she offered. "You're more than welcome to, I'm always 'appy to 'elp."

She felt a swell of pride when Emily complimented her work, though it was more the look on her face that had Cecily feeling pleased about the painting. She always thought that body language was more a give away than words. She looked at the picture herself, stepping back and admiring her work, though it felt unfinished as well as needing more colour. Then again, her work always felt unfinished.

She returned to the couch to continue talking about Emily's job, taking another sip of her drink. "I am glad that you find it interesting. I 'ave never 'eard much about what people in your line of work do. I suppose that is why you are called Unspeakables, yes?" she thought to the profession, finding herself actually wondering about what it might entail.

"I would love to 'ear you play," Cecily agreed, setting her drink down again. "I do enjoy listening to string instruments. They are very soft sometimes, it must be very 'ard to make them sound so elegant," she pictured one in her mind. "It is a shame you do not 'ave it with you. I am very excited to listening to it."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shadow of the Day   

Back to top Go down

Shadow of the Day
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1